DJ's Myspace blog entry - OK....now I’m ticked off...

Interesting title, don't you think? Before anybody wonders what's going on....I want to make it clear that it has nothing to do with me personally or anything I'm currently dealing with, but something I witnessed on TV. I was watching Hardball on MSNBC early Friday evening and saw something that got under my skin. It shouldn't have, but it did. Rep. Michelle Bachmann, a Republican from Minnesota, was on the show dissing presidential nominee Barack Obama and unsurprisingly claiming he was anti-American. However, she implied a couple things during the interview that really made me wonder how a crackpot like her got voted by actual people into Congress. One, she was asked if any Congressional Democrats were anti-American and she actually called for an "expose" by the media to determine "if they were pro-American or anti-American." Two, she implied that liberalism itself was anti-American. Now, if this were the Fifties, she would probably fit in with Joseph McCarthy, the rabid and paranoid Congressman who had those trials in an attempt to uncover Communists. However, this isn't the Fifties...it's 2008.

This presidential election has been a charged one, with claims going back and forth as to what direction America should take going forward. In the past few weeks there have been very damaging charges made toward Obama and his wife questioning their patriotism. It is a fear card being played, but to see it in action from somebody who shouldn't be playing in...that gets to me. Even in this highly partisan environment there really hasn't been any questioning about particular Congresspersons' patriotism until now, at least regarding an entire political party.

Now before anybody starts making charges that one side or the other is more patriotic or more concerned with America, let me say this: any person elected to Congress is sent there to bring about policy and legislation in order to improve our country and its inner workings. They will differ on philosophy, whether liberalism, conservatism, centrism, or any particular American philosophy is better for the country at any particular time, but undoubtedly they are all loyal Americans. There have been very few people who were outright kicked out of Congress (Democrat Jim Traficant of Youngstown was one...he was an arrogant jerk and a crook to boot), but usually it's due to their own greed or stupidity. For any person elected to Congress in this day and age to question the patriotism of their fellow colleagues or to call a philosophy that represents at least half of the US or a person who follows it "anti-American," regardless of what side of the conservative-liberal divide one may be on...that's going too far.

Rep. Bachmann has not only managed to insult me as a Democrat...she has also managed to insult me as an American. Watching the interview, just witnessing the sheer ignorance and stupid philosophy she espoused....and how she actually believes this rubbish...it hit a nerve. I don't normally mind watching stupidity, but this was over the top for me and an outright insult to my intelligence. There is no way anybody can be this stupid.

I know I should take this so hard, but she hit the wrong nerve at the wrong time. I'll be over this soon enough, but I just had to vent. Here's a link to an article talking about this:

The Huffington Post: GOP Rep Channels McCarthy

My ranting is done. I'm heading to the OC tomorrow night...come on up and visit. Later and God Bless.

DJ