Random Thoughts #4 - the "conventional" edition

Greetings and salutations. I'm a little loopy from some to the sinus meds I'm taking, so I thought it would be a wonderful time to put up some random thoughts and stuff. If it makes no sense to you, don't worry...it may someday. And now, on to the thoughts:

 -  Obama-Biden: solid Democratic ticket. Definitely worth electing to office.

 -  Unless things change circumstance-wise, I've decided that I will not be participating too much in the fall political campaigns except for my activities with the Westerville Democratic Club. Even though I support Obama, I am just not feeling it from the national campaign right now...probably because all they're really asking from me are things I can't give much of (money) or jobs I just can't do, which are definitely turnoffs at this point. May be my fault, may be there's, but I'm just not feeling it....maybe down the line, but not right now.

 -  There are a lot of Democratic candidates for local offices that need help...if anybody wants to help out with their campaigns, let me know and I'll get information about who to contact or what to do.

 -  There is a Paid Sick Days issue that's gonna be on the ballot in November. It sounds like a good idea and in principle I like the idea behind it. However, like Gov. Strickland I cannot support the issue that's on the ballot. There is one big reason I can't....it doesn't include unmarried couples whatsoever. Here's the big thing about it: an unmarried couple's kids would be covered, but the way this issue is set up, neither one of that couple would be able to use sick days to care for the other. That is problematic because I have several friends (here on Myspace and elsewhere) that would not be properly covered by the current ballot issue as-is. Also, I went to the introductory meeting for this initiative about a year back and the main backers seemed way too stubborn to look at changing any part of this bill. It is written exactly the same as it was a year ago, so obviously no effort for compromise was going to happen from the group backing this effort.

 -  Last bit of political stuff: first day of the Democratic Party Convention was pretty good....Ted Kennedy spoke (against his doctor's advice) and Michelle Obama spoke eloquently about Barack, their family, and their story. It's definitely worth watching if you get the chance.

 -  At this point, my church is going through a rough patch. We've had some setbacks in keeping things up and getting things going forward, but by the grace of God we're still alive. If you want or need a place to worship, take a look at Crossroads which is ministered by my friend Pastor Cory Pariseau. Don't be surprised if you may get a friend request from Pastor Cory, because he's friendly and cool like that.

 -  The Westerville Browns Backers are back for this season and we are now meeting at a new place for all Browns games. We're now at GameWorks at Easton, in the Arena Sports Bar & Grill. We may even have to change the name of the group because of the location move. If you're a Browns fan, come and join us in watching the games. For just $10, you can become an official Browns Backer member and be eligible for discounts, contests, and deals on food during the regular season. First game is coming up a week from Sunday against Dallas, so join us at GameWorks for that game.

 -  I apologize if I haven't been in touch with many of you for a while. I've been under the weather off and on for about a month now and I've even had to skip some things because my sinuses have been acting up and my sleep sked had been thrown completely off. I am starting to feel a bit better overall but I am still dealing with this, so bear with me. I'm just thankful and fortunate I've been able to do some stuff this past month...it's been a struggle. On a related note, I've been waiting on my next job assignment, so maybe it's been good that I'm getting the time to get over my health stuff.

As you can tell, I've been dealing with a lot recently and can use all the moral support I can get. Any will be appreciated. Some of you seem to need it as well, so I just want to say my thoughts are with you too. On a somewhat related note, we (me and friends on Myspace and elsewhere) need to start coming together and getting together more often, if not for fun then to get stuff done. In other words, rebuild our social network and community and keep it going. My church and the Browns Backers at Easton are good starting points as well as the club (the OC on Hamilton on the NE side) but if anybody else has ideas on how to go about this, speak up. We need to be supporting each other in troubling times as well as the good times.  Until next time, take care and God Bless.

DJ