Random Thoughts #144 - the "2014 review" edition

Greetings and welcome to the last edition of DJ's Random Thoughts for 2014.  I hope everybody is enjoying their holidays this year (I definitely am).  I've got a lot to get to today so I'm just gonna jump on into the fire here.  Enjoy.

 -  I know DJRT has been pretty quiet over the past few months with only one in the past three months plus.  I apologize for that but I have been very busy in the real world.  I've been working a holiday job at Macy's and the schedule has been pretty brutal in terms of when I've had to go to work.  Because of that, I haven't gone out or done much of anything worth noting.  I haven't even been able to watch football or do too much dancing because of the schedule I've had.  However, the rough schedule is now over for the most part and it looks like I'm gonna be able to start getting back to things I've been missing out on in the past few months or so.  I am really looking forward to that especially with some stuff and events coming up.

 -  As noted in the subtitle and as I do at or near the end of every year, I give a general overview of how my year went.  Given some of the editions from this past year, one would think the prevailing theme would be the issues surrounding my emotions, especially my anger.  Despite the intensity of what happened with all that, it actually was not the big theme.  The theme of 2014 for me seemed to be "upgrading and modernizing".  I am in an extremely different place regarding the types of things I use each and every day from last year at this time.  In the span of one year I have upgraded my phone to a smartphone, replaced or modernized about three-fourths of my wardrobe, and as of a few days ago now mostly using a new laptop I got for Christmas which I am using on this edition of DJRT.  All of the new stuff replaced things that were several years old and were things I desperately needed to modernize or in some cases get ahead of the curve.  Just how much changed on that front along make it the prevailing theme for my 2014.  I did get to head out to a couple of wrestling shows this year.  I also got to hit up some festivals and special events though not as many as last year.  I got to attend a wedding and date a little bit which were things I haven't done in years.  I also got to do a lot more dancing than in years past and made some new friends in the process.  Overall it's been an eventful year.  Last year I noted that I thought 2014 was going to be an awesome year for me.  In some facets it was and others it definitely wasn't.  I do have a few things I want from 2015...I want to improve on both the good and the bad from 2014, I want to hit up more festivals & special events than last year and I want to be able to take DJRT much closer to where I've been dreaming to take it for so long now.  Because of some events in the past year, I can say I am 25 percent of the way toward where I want to take DJRT which is a decent improvement over last year at this time.  2014 wasn't a bad year nor was it a banner year for yours truly, but it definitely was an active one.  Ultimately I just want this next year to be overall better than the last one.

 -  The Cleveland Browns season is over and it definitely was an up and down season.  It went up...then it went down.  They were on top of the AFC North and 7-4 at one point but thanks to injuries, some rookie coaching mistakes and some bad play they lost their last five games to end their season at 7-9.  It was a rough tumble but I think the injury to center Alex Mack was a dominating factor in why they had such a significant downfall late in the season.  Unlike last year, where I was so disgusted with the Browns that I stopped watching their last couple of games early, I think the team is in a much better place this time around and poised to go upward.  The change in the culture is ongoing but I am definitely seeing the improvements.  Heck, this has been the best season they've had in years.  They definitely need to make some changes in the offseason but for the first time in forever not in the front office or head coach.  I think some changes in personnel are needed and possibly coming as well as getting some upgrades at several positions on the field will do wonders for the Browns next season.  They have two first round picks to help with some of that.  I think they should concentrate on the tight end and wide receiver positions this offseason as they might need a couple of player upgrades there.  The bottom line for me is that despite the freefall at the end of the season I feel much better about the team than I did last year.

 -  The Cleveland Cavaliers are off to a shaky start this year even with LeBron James back on the team.  The head coach and players seem to be taking their time feeling each other out still and it's showing in games.  The team has been hot and cold.  I think it has to do with the combination of a new head coach, new gameplan and the players not gelling as a unified team just yet.  I think they will get there eventually but it might take some soul-searching from some on the team first before it happens.  This is one of the most talented teams in years by overall NBA standards and a lot of people are wondering why it isn't doing better, but I would recommend being patient...it'll come together soon enough.

 -  Who woulda thunk the Ohio State Buckeyes football team would be in the playoff for a national championship this season?  I didn't, especially with the struggles at the beginning of the season.  They have come a long way, though.  They destroyed a highly ranked Wisconsin squad in the Big Ten championship game which shocked the hell out of me but I don't expect the same result in their upcoming Sugar Bowl match up against the top-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide.  Regardless, it has been a great season, one that makes me proud to be an alumni of The Ohio State University.

 -  Speaking of alumni, I want to congratulate my friend Jay Watkins on graduating from Ohio State a couple weeks ago.  It's nice to have someone else from my crew now be a fellow alumnus.  Enjoy your success, my friend.

 -  I just want it to be known that there is nothing "gangsta" about a onesie...absolutely nothing whatsoever.

 -  Project X is coming.  The people who have been setting up parties at the Endzone club in downtown Columbus are now opening up a new club called Project X at the location of the former Screaming Willies/Big Easy/Bourbon Street/Club Dance on the east side of Columbus.  The grand opening is scheduled to open on January 23rd...I'm not gonna be able to go to that but some of you in Columbus might want to hit that up.  So many of you know how much Bourbon Street meant to me, so seeing the place become a night club again is a treat for yours truly.  I don't know what the operating hours are going to be at this time but if they are gonna be open on Saturdays and they're around in the middle of next year, that might be a time to bring up a Corporation reunion or overall Crew reunion.  To my peeps in Akron who remember our times at Screaming Willies or might be interested...summer roadtrip anyone?

 -  Robin Williams...Shirley Temple...Maya Angelou...Mickey Rooney...James Garner...Ruby Dee...Casey Kasem...Lauren Bacall...Joe Cocker...those are just some of the memorable names who have passed away in 2014.  I don't remember when so many icons and iconic figures died in the same calendar year.  The death of Robin Williams hit me especially hard but it is shocking to see so many prominent names now gone.  Peaceful journey, good folks.

 -  Song on Repeat:  "It's A Miracle" by Queen.  Given how some things in the past year have gone for me an some of my friends, it does seem to be a miracle that we are still going as strong as we do during the difficult times.  I thought this song best encapsulated that notion.


 -  Shoutouts:  Cory, Patrick Hayes (Tom B.), Carlo, Anna, Stephanie, Ron U., Dave & Sarah, Alan, Melissa, Mary, Micah, Stan, Jay, Kevin, Fran, Margie, Stephen, Uncle Gary, Uncle Larry, Jamie & Dave, Dave M. and Ron M.

That's it for this edition.  It has been a very interesting year and I hope that 2015 is a great year especially for DJRT.  I'm crossing my fingers on that.  Before I go, I want to wish all of you a safe and happy New Year and I'll see you next year.  Until next time, folks.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ