Random Thoughts #88 - the "2010 review" edition

Hello and welcome to the 88th edition of Random Thoughts and the final one for calendar year 2010.  I hope everybody is doing okay during this holiday season.  I've got some stuff to get to, so let's get to it.  Enjoy.

 -  For the first time in years, I spent a week in Tallmadge for Christmas.  I don't think I've spent that much time there since I was living there in 2003 (I moved out on January 2, 2004 for college).  I wasn't sure I would be able to do it without going crazy or being driven nuts, but somehow I managed to keep my sanity.  I think keeping myself busy helped with that.  While I was there I got to spend time with two of my oldest and best friends Bob and Todd.  I helped Bob with some computer stuff and took a tour of old haunts around Akron, Kent, and other places with Todd.  I have to tell you, the region has changed drastically.  Some areas like Akron U. have been completely overhauled while some other places I saw were in serious decline.  Even with all the reminiscing, it's apparent to me that the area is so different now and that it really isn't my home anymore.  Overall it was a decent Christmas holiday for me.

 -  2010 was a mixed bag of a year for me and more of a down year than I expected it to be.  The biggest event this year was once again the death of an uncle, this time my Uncle Bill.  This is the third year in a row, and again in November, that I lost someone who was a part of my life in some way.  I honestly want that streak to be done.  Anyway, the reason I say it was more of a down year is because that new beginning I talked about for myself at this time last year is barely off the ground.  I did some setup and preparation for it and I plan to rev it up going into this next year, God willing, but there's nothing too tangible from it just yet.  Back in June, for the first time in years and for one day I felt like I was at 100%...at my peak, so to speak (hey, I rhymed..LOL).  That hasn't truly happened in ages but once this new beginning really gets going, I expect it to be that way for me regularly.  I was also able to get back together with several people I had been separated from for different reasons and cleared some things up so we could move forward.  I did get to go out regularly for a couple of months in the spring but in the past six months I've been out only once.  I went to a Browns game, a WWE show, and an excellent TNA wrestling show, so I wasn't a complete recluse.  I also went to Red, White, and BOOM this year and actually enjoyed myself which I don't think had ever happened up to that point.  I got more into the United Football League in this, their second season, and became a fan of the Florida Tuskers (they got screwed in the championship game, but I digress).  For the most part, I kept to myself, doing a lot of things solo and was not as social as I was expecting to be, but I believe I'm more social than I was at this point last year.  Like I said, it was a mixed bag.

 -  Going into 2011, my general game plan is to continue with my new beginning and keep myself going forward.  I've still got a lot to do in that regard and a lot of details to work out, but by this time next year I'm expecting to be in a different and much better place personally, professionally, and in any other way that matters.

 -  I do have something to get off my chest that's been bugging me.  About a week and a half ago several of us in the Westerville Browns Backers were informed by someone on the staff at Jimmy V's that they were going to start charging a "sitting fee" for us to watch Browns games there.  We were told that while we were there watching the games that the servers weren't getting enough in tips, so they wanted to start charging us during games (by the quarter, no less) and that they were going to charge gratuity on top of that.  Obviously, I'm not happy with this.  I wish the staff or the management at Jimmy V's had come to us beforehand and let us know there was an issue or problem regarding this.  The only thing a sitting fee accomplishes is ill will and problems for everybody around.  I thought we had a good relationship with the place and that it could be worked out or something.  I guess they see things differently.  Speaking for myself here, I loved being there for the games and cheering with my fellow Backers.  If the other Backers still want to go up there, that's cool, but I vowed to myself that I will not patronize any establishment where I or my business were not welcome.  I haven't been back there since then and don't plan on going for the last game against the Steelers unless things drastically change which I'm not expecting.  I miss being there with the WBB because they're an awesome group of people but I'm not going someplace I'm not wanted.  Before I leave this topic I've got one question for the management and staff:  if you're not getting enough in tips, could it have something to do with you?

 -  It looks like the Cleveland Browns are limping to the finish line with losses over the last several weeks.  It also looks like Eric Mangini might be out of a job at the end of the season because of the erratic play-calling.  Oh well...I guess there's next season.

 -  I've been going online regularly to a site called Swagbucks.  It's a search-and-win site that uses Google and Ask.com and people can win points called Swagbucks to use toward earning prizes.  Only 450 Swagbucks are needed for a $5 Amazon e-card but there are a ton of other prizes you can earn...you can either get small stuff quickly (max 5 prizes a month) or save your Swagbucks for a bigger prize later on.  You can also get special codes, watch videos, complete special offers, and do other stuff to get Swagbucks.  The best part is that it's FREE.  I got one of my friends onto the site and now they're on there as regularly as I am at this point.  If you want to join up or check it out, you can go here:  http://swagbucks.com/refer/DJMediaFreak.  I've been on it for several months now and, believe me, it's worth it...and yes, it's completely on the level.

 -  Regarding the recent scandal with the OSU Buckeyes...I gotta be honest, those players should have been suspended for the Sugar Bowl.  The worst part about that is it is that these players have the choice of leaving for the NFL Draft next year (if they have one) and the punishment they were given won't mean squat if they jump.  The first 5 games of next year?  Yeah, right, like they're not thinking of jumping right now.  I believe, like a lot of critics of this decision, that this came down to money for the BCS and the NCAA.  It was a poor decision at best and a travesty at worst.

 -  I have absolutely no plans for New Year's Eve this weekend even though it's actually gonna be somewhat warm outside (50's here in Columbus).  Without any solid plans, the gameplan for me this NYE is me staying home.  If anybody has other ideas like a party or something, give me a buzz.  It would be nice to go out again.

 -  Song on repeat:  "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band.  This was good traveling music coming home from Tallmadge.  I don't put too much southern rock on my repeat song list, but this is one song I do include...specifically the long version.

 -  SLP to the following:  Al, Cheryl, Paula, the WBB, Dave, Aunt Sandy, Stacy (happy b-day), Ernest, Aunt Susie, Josh W., Bob, Lynn, Todd, Holly, Heather H., Aunt Claudia, George, Debbie, Cara, Shadow (happy b-day), Tracy (happy b-day), Jay (happy b-day) and Griff.

That's it for 2010.  Join me next year as I blog about whatever else is on my mind.  If I don't see you beforehand, I want to wish you a Happy New Year and I'll see you next year.  Until next time.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ