Random Thoughts #87 - the "3rd straight" edition

Hello and welcome to another round of Random Thoughts from yours truly.  I've got a lot of stuff to talk about this time out, so let's get to it.  Enjoy.

 -  The reason this is called the "3rd straight" edition is because, once again, somebody from my life passed away in the middle of November for the third year in a row.  This time it was my Uncle Bill on the 19th, three days after his birthday.  When I was a kid, whenever I went to his place in Florida or he visited up in Ohio, we had some very interesting conversations, mostly regarding UFO's or the supernatural or other sci-fi stuff.  We didn't get to see each other very much throughout the years and the last time I had a long conversation with him was back when I was living up in Akron.  That particular conversation, which I haven't talked about until now, is one of the most important I've ever had in my life.  Let's just say that if it hadn't happened, it's very likely that I would not have returned to OSU to get my college degree nor be in Columbus right now.  I know I stated that a volunteering stint at a pro golf tournament is what got me started toward OSU, but this conversation was the spark that inspired me to actually take steps toward improving my fortunes and my life including the step to volunteer for that aforementioned golf tourney.  A little background on this:  Bill was visiting for a couple of weeks while I was living up in Akron.  I picked him up from Cleveland Hopkins Airport and we decided to stop at the Country Kitchen on E. Market St. in Akron which I believe is closed now.  We sat there for a couple of hours eating a late dinner and talking about a variety of subjects.  For the first time he talked about his past with me and how he grew up.  At the time I was going through a really rough patch so I talked a lot about that and other stuff in my life.  I got a lot of encouragement and support from him during that conversation, something I desperately needed given I wasn't too terribly close to anybody at that time.  I am really sad from his passing and regret that I never got to tell him how much that one conversation with him changed my life.  I already miss him a lot.  Rest in peace, Bill Homeier.

 -  Before I go on, I want to thank everybody who passed on condolences and prayers to my family during this difficult time.  It was really appreciated.

 -  I don't make a habit of talking about or promoting specific people I know or knew in this blog too often especially those I have had no contact with in a long time, but for this blurb I am making an exception.  Through one of my friends of Facebook I came across the website of somebody I went to high school with named Dawn Deeks.  I haven't actually talked to her since high school and don't actually know how she's doing, but apparently she left public relations in order to become a full-time photographer.  Judging by the photos she's taken that are on her site and on her blog, she's good...really good.  Dawn has taken some of the most striking photographs I have ever seen.  She's taken pictures of things from everyday life, from special events like weddings and from exotic locales around the world.  I really like some of the pics she took in Guatemala (they're in her blog from September 2010).  If you want to see her work, you can check out her website, Dawn Deeks Photography, and her blog, Snap snap yap yap.  On a personal note, since I haven't actually talked to her I hope she doesn't mind the mention or the site promotion, but her stuff is just too good not to include here.

 -  The United Football League ended its 2010 campaign with its championship game last Saturday (at the same time as the OSU-Michigan game).  It had my favorite UFL team the Florida Tuskers taking on the defending champion Las Vegas Locos.  I believe the Tuskers got screwed by a non-call by the refs for pass interference near the end of the game, and the Locos squeaked by with a block on a Tuskers field goal attempt to win the championship once again.  Overall it was a great season, very competitive and exciting throughout and I can only hope that next season the Tuskers win it all.  Regarding the UFL in general, next season will have a 10-game regular season schedule including the newest addition to the league, the Virginia Destroyers, and possibly two more teams.  The 2011 season will start in August while the NFL is in it's preseason (if they have a season at all next year) and end in mid to late October.  When I get more info I'll pass it along here in the blog.  Next season looks to be a good one, folks.

 -  Speaking of the Buckeyes, they are Big Ten champions for the sixth straight year, sharing the title with Michigan State and Wisconsin.  They absolutely decimated the Michigan Wolverines in order to get the title once again.  Next year there will be a title game to determine the Big Ten champ, so fellow Buckeye fans should enjoy this while it lasts.  I don't know what bowl game they're headed to just yet but it will most likely be a BCS bowl due to it's ranking.

 -  Even though there is a lot to like about the Cleveland Browns this season, they are still having trouble with shooting themselves in the foot during games.  They are beating themselves more than they are being beaten by the teams they played.  They barely squeaked a win last weekend vs. Carolina.  I just hope they can get it together sooner rather than later.

 -  Since Browns games have been exciting this year, the Westerville Browns Backers have had some pretty decent crowds show up at Jimmy V's.  I invite my fellow Browns fans reading this to come join me and the Westerville Browns Backers for the next five games in what is expected to be an exciting rest of the season even if they don't make the playoffs.  The Backers have exclusive contests for its members and everybody gets food and drink specials on game days.  I expect the rest of the games to be at 1 PM but there may be a flex at the end of the season (likely the Steelers game or maybe even the Ravens) pushing them back to 8:30 PM if there's any playoff implications.  In any case, come on down and watch with us.

 -  Thanksgiving was very interesting for me this year.  There was too much gravy with my TG dinner.  I had fun with some acid indigestion (likely due to sinuses) which prevented my from going up to Tallmadge for TG.  On the flip side, this was the first year in about 20 where I was looking forward to the TV programming on the Friday afterwards.  On Friday evening, Transformers Prime, G.I. Joe Renegades, and Young Justice all premiered and all were really good.  On Saturday night, I went out to a dance club for the first time in six months.  I got to hang out with friends I hadn't seen since that last time at Screaming Willies.  Except for about five songs we all felt it wasn't that great a night there and contemplated going elsewhere, but for me it was really great just to get out and see some of my friends again.  It is very likely that I will start going out regularly once again whenever possible, so if anybody's up for it let me know and we'll see what happens.  I don't want to wait another six months before going out again.

 -  Before I end the blog tonight, I want to make an announcement.  I will be visiting Tallmadge for a few days prior to and including Christmas Day.  I will be up there on either the 21st or 22nd depending on the weather, likely the former, and be returning to Columbus on Christmas Day because I have to return for Browns Backer-related stuff the next day.  If anybody wants to visit me or wants me to visit them while I'm up there, let me know.  Aside from the people I'm already expecting to see, that also applies to anybody that I haven't seen since high school...it has been a long time since I've seen a lot of folks up there.  I've been up to visit my parents but I haven't actually seen or been around Tallmadge itself or the surrounding area since 2005 so if anybody is interested in doing stuff or hanging out, please let me know because it would be nice to see how people are doing now and what's going on up there.  I will be making regular announcements beforehand to remind everybody, so keep an eye out on Facebook.

 -  Song on repeat:  "What They Do" by The Roots.  I've always liked this song but never knew the name of it until a couple months ago.  I was able to get a copy using a free mp3 credit on Amazon, so I'm happy I was able to get the song.

 -  SLP to the following:  Pastor Cory, Griff, Dave, Jack, Steve, the Westerville Browns Backers, Tatjana (congrats on the baby boy), Nick (happy b-day), Rob (happy b-day), Carlo (happy b-day), Tracy, Holly, Ernest, George, Paula, Josh, Jay, Jennifer N., Todd, Aunts Susie & Sandy, Marcus D., Mindy, Al, Tammy (happy b-day), Crazy Shane, Cheryl, Heather D. (happy b-day), Stan (happy b-day; still praying for you), and Shane S. (happy b-day).

I will have a blog right before the new year but not before Christmas.  Therefore, if I don't see you beforehand I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.  For those of you in or around Tallmadge, be on the lookout on Facebook for more info about my Christmas trip.  It's getting late so I'm gonna take off.  Until next time, folks.  Merry Christmas, take care, and God Bless.

DJ