ProgressOhio - Land development

I'm gonna try something new here. I have a lot of topics I want to blog about, but I thought it might be ideal to enhance interactivity with others here by simply placing a topic in the post title and seeing what people think through their comments here. I'll put in some basic background info (or where I'm coming from) about the topic I choose and pose a question or two that will hopefully kick off the discussion in the comments section. I hope this works out, but if it doesn't I'll try something else.

Land development: Within the past ten years, Central Ohio (through land purchases, expansion, and development) has seen two major retail and business meccas sprout up: Easton and Polaris. Both are in Columbus city limits even though Polaris is officially in Delaware County. In Northeast Ohio, the township of Brimfield in Portage County signed three JEDD (Joint Economic Development Districts) agreements with neighboring cities, two with my hometown of Tallmadge in Summit County, that have brought in a Wal-Mart, an Applebee's, and other various national retailers. My basic question is this: is this expansion of development good for the people affected by it, and how or why is this the case? Related subtopics to consider in this question include national vs. local retailers (such as Wal-Mart vs. a local shop down the street), economic implications, and impact on the environment. I open the comments section to discuss. Later and God Bless.