Random Thoughts #139 - the "sapphire" edition

Hello and welcome to a very special edition of DJ's Random Thoughts.  There is a reason I am doing it now which I will get to in the edition itself but I would have done one around this time regardless of whether I had stuff to talk about or not.  Fortunately I do have a few things I want to say so with that in mind let's get to it.  Enjoy.

 -  A sapphire is a beautiful jewel, isn't it?  Especially a blue one.  It's shiny.  It makes a great accessory to any woman's jewelry collection.  It can make a beautiful woman stand out when they wear one.  I know a few women who have sapphires as part of their own collections.  It is the jewel typically used to celebrate a fifth year anniversary of something.  This week, DJ's Random Thoughts celebrates its fifth anniversary of being founded and started on Blogspot.  Even though it was around before that time, DJRT itself begun in 2009 during a very turbulent time and it has grown to one of the most vital parts of my life.  Outside of many of my friendships, it is probably the longest commitment I've ever made to anything in my life so far.  I could wax nostalgic on the past five years but since one of DJRT's focuses is on the past itself and will continue to be, I will save that for some future edition.  I did want to celebrate it though.  I've made some cosmetic changes on the blog (more basic color scheme, no more cloud backgrounds, other little things) but I did do one major thing: I designed and created a new official DJRT logo.  It's been around for over a couple weeks now but I honestly didn't expect to make one until I just did it.  Like I did with the DJ Logo, I was just messing around with design ideas until I came up with what you now see in the top left corner of this edition as well as around anything related to DJ's Random Thoughts.  In my opinion, it's really snazzy, it's sharp-looking and it looks good in high definition.  I am ecstatic with how it turned out.  I have a couple versions that include the DJRT address with it and a version without it but I will happily be using the DJRT logo from this point forward.  As a result, I have changed up the look of the merchandise in the DJRT Store, so go ahead and check that out at the link in the top menu & if you could buy some stuff and help support DJRT I would greatly appreciate it.  The last five years have been interesting to say the least but it's only going to get bigger and better for DJRT going forward.

 -  Over the past few months or so I have been working on replacing things I've been using regularly or upgrading to newer stuff.  It's a haphazard process but an ongoing one.  It's been mostly related to software and clothing-related stuff and progress has been slow on that front.  However, a couple of weeks ago I made a big splash and got a new phone which is light years beyond my old phone which was 4 years old and bought refurbished.  I got a new LG G2 which is regarded by many as one of the best phones to come out last year.  Given what I had before, I can't believe I hadn't upgraded sooner.  It has everything I was looking for or to do with a phone and more and I can't believe what I was missing out on.  Because of that I'm using it constantly...way more than I did my last one or any before that.  As you can probably tell, I'm very happy with it.  Now if the many, many other upgrades in my life that I need have the kind of impact my new phone has, things are going to be very interesting from here on out...and in a good way, mind you.

 -  This is usually the time of year for me that serves as a void for me in regard to the teams or sports I follow.  I'm not that strong into baseball though I do follow it from time to time, but for the most part from the end of the Cavs basketball season to the start of the Browns preseason I'm not watching too much in the way of sports with a couple of exceptions.  The exceptions I'm talking about are the NFL Draft (which already took place last month) and the NBA Draft which is next week.  I do have stuff to do in the interim but I would like something worthwhile to follow sports-wise during that void time.  I'm hoping that in the next couple years or so spring football (specifically a developmental USFL league...yes, I'm still following their efforts) comes to fruition and fills some of that void.  Until then I will continue to wait.

 -  Speaking of the NBA Draft, I'm still in disbelief that the Cleveland Cavaliers won the draft lottery last month and are picking first.  They still don't have a coach and there are a couple of guys they seem to be seriously looking at but they could also trade the pick and get something big in return.  There are many teams looking at getting one of the three top players in this year's draft so draft night could be the most interesting story in the NBA (outside of the Donald Sterling stuff) this year.

 -  I haven't been able to hit up any of the festivals which have already taken place this year due to stuff going on around me nor do some of my walkabouts.  However, the bulk of festivals I want to hit up starts up in early July with Independence Day stuff so I'm hoping I can catch up on them and my walks in the next few months or so.  I have been able to get out and go dancing at least a couple nights a week at the Red Fox in Cuyahoga Falls.  If you had told me a year ago that I would be doing that or have a regular hangout again I would have said you were nuts, but here I am with that stuff.  I can say I am a happy camper on that front.

 -  Song on Repeat:  "Somebody I Used To Know" by Gotye.  This was one of those songs I like where for a long time I would hear it on the radio and say to myself "I should get this song" but then I would forget about doing so almost immediately after.  I don't know if that happens to a lot of you but it has happened to me a few times.  I finally got the song recently & have played it on repeat regularly.  There's not anything about the song that applies to me personally...at least not right now...but I do like listening to it.


 -  Shoutouts:  Ron, Griff, Cory, Fran, Margie, Kristin, Xavier, Melissa, Cheryl, Micah, Mary S., Jenny K., Bob & Lynn, Stan, Aunt Sue, Mindy, Jen C., Mary K., Holly, Jay & Stephanie, Michelle W., April K., Brandon, Stephen, Dave M., Courtney, Brent, Nicole, Jen & Steph (from the Red Fox), Alan, Dave & Sarah, Ronnie, Lou, Kevin N., Terry B., Richard C., & Paul W.

That's it for this fifth anniversary edition.  Like I said earlier it's only going to get bigger and better for DJ's Random Thoughts going forward.  Before I go, I want to thank all of you who have read DJRT and supported it throughout the years.  It has been an absolute blessing that you have been along with me for this ride and I hope you continue to do so for a long time to come.  On that note, I bid you all adieu for now.  Until next time, folks.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ