Random Thoughts #137 - the "pullback" edition

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of DJ's Random Thoughts.  The temps have finally warmed up a bit though the weather could use some more adjustment for my tastes.  Anyway, I've got stuff I wanna talk about so let's get to it.  Enjoy.

 -  The reason for the subtitle of this edition, "pullback", is that in the past month I had to start taking a closer look at some plans and ideas I've had recently including stuff I talked about in the last edition.  Mind you, I'm not talking about stuff I'm already doing like dancing on the weekends (or whenever I go out) but stuff that was on the horizon.  After some careful consideration, I've decided to pull back on many of those plans for now with various reasons for each pullback whether it be issues with feasibility, enthusiasm or lack thereof, timing, being realistically able to do something, etc.  I wouldn't be making such a big deal over this because changes in gameplan happen with me all the time but unfortunately this pullback also means I need to announce that I won't be able to go to the Corporation reunion coming up on May 17th.  I really wanted to go and even made a big deal of it here and elsewhere but at this point it doesn't look I'm going to be able to make it.  It's still happening and I know folks who are still looking forward to it so if anybody needs info on the event or wants to go I've still got the info on that if anybody wants it.  It sucks that I won't be down there for it but I had to make some tough decisions as of late on that front.  I still do want to go down to Columbus for a few days sometime in the future, maybe even later this year, and do that other stuff when I'm able to do so but for now I have to put all that stuff off and work them in when opportunities arise to do so.

 -  Even though I'm not doing some of the stuff I had planned to, there are things I am definitely looking forward to in the near future.  In addition to the dancing, I will be doing what I did last year, heading out for my walks and hitting up local festivals and events (I'll get more into events later in this edition).  The weather hasn't been all that cooperative just yet but I did already get a couple opportunities to go walking around downtown Cuyahoga Falls which is a place I really enjoy walking.  I'm hoping that in the next month or so the weather starts cooperating for me more so I can get out and do the stuff I really enjoyed doing last year and hope to get to again.

 -  In about a week and a half, the 2014 NFL Draft will be upon us.  In regard to the Cleveland Browns, I have no idea who they are planning to get with their picks this year.  In past years it was easier to tell but with the pushback of the draft by two weeks and the depth of talent that is available this year both in general and in areas of need, it's a tougher read this year.  There is a bit of a weird coincidence in that the first year of the existence of the Baltimore Ravens (after Art Modell moved the former Browns there) they had the 4th and 26th picks in the first round of that year's draft and now this year the Browns themselves have the same draft pick positions this year with the 4th & 26th selections.  I don't know if that will amount to anything but it is a weird coincidence.

 -  Peaceful Journey:  "Stagger" Lee Marshall, former AWA, WCW and WOW (Women of Wrestling) announcer and the voice for the past two decades of Tony the Tiger, passed away over the weekend.  He was probably my favorite wrestling announcer.  He had a lot of knowledge of professional wrestling in general which came across in his announcing.  Where a lot of current sports analysts and color commentators come off as shrill and obnoxious, Marshall always came across as confident and pleasant with that lively, deep, boisterously distinctive voice of his, one that he used to great effect when voicing the character of Tony the Tiger in Frosted Flakes commercials.  There weren't many like him out there.  I am really going to miss him.  Rest in peace, Stagger Lee.

 -  It's been two years since One Tree Hill went off the air and I still miss watching it on TV.  I can't believe I forgot to talk about that in the last edition especially since it influenced me so much but I was going off the top of my head on the last edition so I'm not gonna bang my head repeatedly for forgetting to put that in.  Maybe for something else in the future but not this.

 -  As I mentioned earlier, I'm planning on hitting up a bunch of festivals and fairs in the next few months with weather permitting.  Here is a list of a few of the festivals I'm hoping to hit up at some point this summer and fall:
  • June 13th to 15th - Irish Festival in downtown Cuyahoga Falls
  • July 4th - the fireworks display as part of the Akron Rib Festival in downtown Akron (hopefully it won't just be 9 minutes this year but you never know with the city of Akron)
  • Sometime in mid-July - Mogadore Summerfest in Mogadore (when or if it's scheduled...they had a wrestling show there last year which I hope comes back this year)
  • July 18th to 20th - Italian Festival in downtown Cuyahoga Falls
  • August 1st to 3rd - Rock the Docks at Springfield Lake in Springfield Township (it got pushed back this year from early July; not sure if it's permanent or not but this is the new date for this year's event)
  • September 12 to 14 - Oktoberfest in downtown Cuyahoga Falls
  • September 20th - Porch Rokr Festival at Highland Square in Akron
  • September 20th & 21st - the Ravenna Balloon A-Fair at Sunbeau Valley Farm in Ravenna
 -  Before I forget, I want to thank everybody who wished me a happy birthday earlier this month and to thank those of you who stuck it out with me celebrating it the weekend following my birthday.  I didn't want to make a big deal of talking about it this year as I had in the past because the week of my birthday itself was actually pretty rough on me, but in any case it's the past now and I've moved on from it.  Again, to those of you who kindly thought of me, thank you.

 -  Song on Repeat:  "My Boo" by Ghost Town DJ's.  When this song was released in the mid-90's, it was played almost all the time.  You couldn't turn a radio on without this song being played on some radio station at any particular moment.  After overplaying it for months, it just seemed to disappear except for a few deejays playing it occasionally at the clubs.  I heard this song for the first time in years last month and remembered how much it was played way back when...or overplayed as the case was back in the day.


 -  Shoutouts:  Cory, Aunt Sue, Kristin, Brandon, Stan, Jay, Melissa, Mary, Alan, Fran, Margie, Stephen, Ron, Griff, Katie, Debbie, Bob, Lynn, Micah, Holly, Dave M., Robert N., Todd, Scotty, Xavier, Maggie, Joe M., Terry B., Jennie, Carl, Kevin, Rita D., April K., Ashley (woman I met at the Red Fox), Randy, Michelle W., Al, and Jenny K.

That's it for this edition.  There wasn't as much to talk about this go-round but I did want to put up another one before too much time went by.  Like I mentioned earlier, I'm hoping the weather gets better so I can get out more.  With that, I bid you all adieu.  Until next time, folks.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ