Random Thoughts #41 - the "heartbreaking" edition

Greetings and salutations. Once again I am back with more random thoughts. Honestly, until a couple of days ago I didn't think I'd have much to talk about. Boy what a couple days' difference makes. With that in mind, on to the show:

 -  The thoughts I have regarding the "heartbreaking" subtitle as not as obvious as they may appear. I'm using it here as more of a warning for what could happen with several people I know. I've been observing a lot of disparate situations where a common theme has been someone's lack of trust in the people around them, to the point where true feelings are being held back for no discernable reason. One of the most striking things about all this, and one of the oddest from what I've observed, is that if the truth and true feelings came out in these cases, there is a higher than likely chance that overall things and situations would improve tremendously and that great things may come of it. Usually when you hear about things that need said or revealed, people immediately jump to the sorta stuff one would see on Jerry Springer or Maury. This isn't the case here. It may be the optimist in me, but there's a lot of potential good if not great things that might be on the way but it is heartbreaking to me that a lot of it is being squandered and being held off for whatever reason, justified or not. Not only that, the people around those squandering these opportunities are being driven nuts by it including me. I'm not gonna go into any specific situation here but I gotta tell you folks, especially those of you squandering your shots at good and great things and holding back...there is never enough good we can do in the world for the people around us and ourselves, and honestly I'm not sure why you're holding back but it seems like you're missing out on a lot. Speaking for myself here, I just wanted to let those of you I'm directing this to (including those not on Myspace) know that I want good things for all the people around me, my family, my friends, my crew...everyone. I don't want you to hold back on going for the things and dreams that will make you and everything and everyone around you better and greater as people or give up on things just because you feel the need to hold back how you feel or what you feel others around you need...that would be heartbreaking.

 -  I actually went out on both Friday and Saturday nights for the first time in years. Friday night at Club Polaris was lively, with a couple incidents of drama and a lot of dancing. Last night I hooked up with my crew at the OC and we did a lot there. I am exhausted from all of it physically and mentally. It was great to see my crew and meet a lot of new people at both places.

 -  Speaking of the club, here's my official plug for the OC Dancer's web site: ocdancers.webs.com...just type or copy-and-paste to the address window and you'll be there.

 -  Once again I went up to Alum Creek SP on Friday to the beach there and waded in the water for a while. I'm finding it a nice, relaxing and peaceful thing to do. It may be something I do semi-regularly from now on, if only to get some sense of peace and relaxation and destress from what I deal with.

 -  I don't know about you, but I've noticed an uptick in VH1 "Countdown" marathons. Last night the "100 Best of the 80's" was on and there were one or two others this past week that I can't exactly remember off the top of my head. Must be a summer thing.

 -  Yesterday afternoon I was web surfing and I found a very interesting site. It is a semi-comedic website called "You Know You're From Columbus When..." I'm gonna post some of what I found on the site below and see if anybody from C-town here gets this stuff.  Enjoy:

You may be from Columbus if:
  • The fact that the German Village Oktoberfest is in September (and not in German Village...) seems perfectly normal.
  • You beam with pride that we're the hometown of Wendy's, White Castle, Rax Roast Beef, Bob Evans and & Donato's. But you wonder why we're the 8th fattest city in America.
  • You remember very vividly City Center & Northland.
  • You know how to pronounce Scioto and Olentangy.
  • You go to The Memorial Tournament at Muirfield just to see and be seen, and you've been rained on there at least once.
  • You see nothing unusual about a street being called East North Broadway.
  • You live in the suburbs but your backyard was actually a cornfield last year. That complex on the corner with the CVS, Blockbuster and Kroger? That was a cornfield last year, too!
  • As you lament the loss of all those cornfields, you see the infinite wisdom of Dublin City Council, who spent over $60,000 on a field of 10' concrete corn ears.
  • You know all of the 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction.
  • You drive 3 hours to see Red White & Boom for 15 minutes...and 4 hours back. But you live 12 minutes away.
  • You know what a real buckeye is and have a recipe for the candy ones.
  • You take it for granted that screaming "O-H"...anytime, anywhere...will get a reply from a stranger saying "I-O"!
  • You don't consider it terribly strange that The Dispatch covers national and international news in a page or two...but requires 6 pages for sports (and 3 of those just for the Bucks).
  • You consider going to the Zoo in winter VERY normal...and we're talking real winter...ice and snow and stuff...not just the month of December. And you stopped noticing Jack Hanna's lisp years ago.
  • You have a Buckeye necklace.
  • You think 45 degree weather is justification enough to stop through the car wash!
  • You call it pop. Soda is for weirdos.
  • You get chills when you hear Carmen Ohio.
  • You say Kroger's...although proper english would be Kroger.
  • You can see a building downtown...but you can't get there due to 500 million one-way streets!
  • You consider this weather pretty much normal:
           Monday: 30 degrees
           Tuesday: 70 degrees
           Wednesday: 45 degrees and humid
           Thursday: -10 wind chill
           Friday: 80 degrees and sunny
  • Though there's not a snowball's chance...the guys like to pretend that all those Victoria's Secret models actually live here, just because the company's based here.
  • You take it as a matter of fact that if you don't like the weather today...stick around, it'll change!
  • One out of every 5 cars has something Buckeye on it.
  • Your big Christmas event as a kid was seeing the window decorations and visiting Santa at Downtown Lazarus
  • You were surprised that there is ANOTHER Hoover Dam in the country
  • You know full well that people drive 10 mph with the first dusting of snow and 65 mph with 2 feet of snow
  • You've never even stopped to question the fact that a bunch of businesses close down on every OSU football game day.
  • You know what The Hospital Curve is
  • You think the standard protocol for a tornado warning is...to grab lawn chairs and head for the front porch.
  • You think there's nothing strange about the city of Westerville being Northeast of Columbus
  • You're fully confident that the word Columbus should always be followed by Ohio
 -  Song on repeat: "Fu-Gee-La" by the Fugees. Old school song, heard it for the first time in a club in years last night. Love the song.

 -  SLP to the following: Kevin, Kristin, Pastor Cory, Holly, Jessica (happy b-day!), Patrick J, Joe, Trish, Griff, Cara, Cheryl, Jay, Ernest, Shane D, Tommy D, and Harry.

This was a more quickly-entered blog than I expected, but I feel on point with my thoughts this week. I hope it keeps up. Until next time folks. Take care and God Bless.

DJ