ProgressOhio - Adventures in job searching

For the past couple of months, I've been in a job search looking for something better than where I've been or what I've done in the past.  Many of us jobseekers normally look for either better salaries, more responsibilities, better chances for growth, or, like me and others I know, more respect and less humiliation for what we do or who we are. That's not an easy task by any means.  Given the way the economy is currently working against us as opposed to for us (despite its supposed good standing), it is difficult for many of us who struggle just to get bills paid or our loved ones taken care of, especially for those of us with the added burden of a job search. I went back to Ohio State to get my college degree specifically to improve my chances in finding gainful employment.   Like many I know, this has proven elusive. The general consensus I hear is that one has to leave Ohio to find a better life or at least a better opportunity than what is here currently, this despite a growing number of available jobs. Even with my college degree, I find it tempting to consider moving elsewhere even though I am committed to making things work here in Central Ohio.

My girlfriend brought something up to me concerning a job search specifically in the Columbus market that could be hindering my chances here and possibly those of other jobseekers. Central Ohio has a number of colleges and universities in the area: Ohio State, Columbus State, Capital University, Ohio Wesleyan, Otterbein, even DeVry. That means that every three months or so there are thousands of new college graduates trying to stay in the area looking for many of the same opportunities as those already with their degrees and in a job search themselves. That means there's an awful lot of competition out there already for whatever jobs open up. Also I have noticed that the opportunities here do not necessarily match up to what I went to college for. It seems to be the same for others I know in the job search, making them feel like they wasted their time and money going to school in the first place. In other words, the job opportunities out there seem mismatched to the skills I and others have. Once they and I got our degrees, it also seemed like either we were too overqualified for jobs at fast food places and retail establishments or not qualified enough for the opportunities we went to school for in the first place, creating more obstacles for meaningful employment despite what many claim. With all this to consider, it's no wonder leaving the area seems like a very desirable option. If I got more involved in politics I would like to work on getting more viable, meaningful employment opportunities for those who are in the situation I and others face. But first, I have to get a good job first.

Before I go for now, I want to address a couple of the comments from my last entry concerning switching holidays: 

- Doug: even though Memorial Day is celebrated, it is meant to remember those who had fallen, which in turn makes it somewhat somber and not completely celebratory as you claim it should, just like with December 7 (honoring the losses at Pearl Harbor). I also don't think that moving the holiday to that particular date will necessarily fuel the fear merchants....more than likely I'd see those who lost their lives on 9/11/01 remembered with those who had fallen in conflicts past.
- fulch: it could be observed in the same fashion as Veteran's Day or Independence Day.

I do appreciate good dialogue and informed opinion, so keep those opinions, ideas, and comments coming....they are welcome. Until next time....Later and God Bless.