ProgressOhio - My experience at a vigil this week

Earlier this week I attended a gathering that was sponsored nationally by MoveOn.org and locally by Progress Ohio.  Since I hadn't done anything "activistic" in a while (Is activistic really a word?  If not I propose to enter it into the lexicon of political jargon/slang, defined as "being an activist"....but that's just me), I thought I would see what it was all about.  It was a candlelight vigil, a protest of the current war in Iraq, a show of support for our troops...it encompassed a lot.

I went to the sponsored event in Westerville.  I live in Columbus, but I live in the 12th US congressional district and the Westerville gathering was closer and more relevant to me than the one downtown.  Anyway, a list was read of the hometowns of the servicepeople who had lost their lives this year alone.  This was done to represent the toll this war was taking on our great nation.  About 40 to 50 people, not including children, showed up at this event, which was repeated in other cities and town across the country.  There were also candles lit for a vigil and a moment of silence once all the names of the hometowns were read.  People took turns reading the list and some got emotional, with one person not even being able to read the rest of his part.  I made a note of the fact that we need to support our troops because of all they do and have done for us...but that I felt the best way to support our troops was by doing what was right and bringing them home.  Personally speaking, I believe they are needed here and elsewhere and do not need to be bogged down in a quagmire brought about by a vendetta that our current president had concerning an assassination attempt on his father. Anyway, the gathering was a sober reminder that there is a lot of work that needs done regarding bringing our troops home to their families and doing what's right.  I was actually hesitant about going to this vigil, but boy am I sure glad I did.  Later and God Bless.