Random Thoughts #134 - the "eventful" edition

Greetings and salutations, everybody!  It's been over a month since I last did one of these and thought it was time to do another.  I've been somewhat busy with starting up one new thing and helping out with another that's coming in a few months which I'll be talking about in this edition.  With that, let's get started.  Enjoy.

 -  I called this edition the "eventful" one because of the significant uptick in some of my activities in the past month.  I've also been pretty social going out to the Red Fox regularly.  As a result of the uptick, I've actually been using Facebook a ton more than I had in a very long time and for good reason which I'll talk about later in this edition.  I've also started reaching out to people I hadn't talked to in a rather long time on Facebook.  With a couple of those folks (including one woman I really, REALLY wanted to keep in touch with), I did come off somewhat awkwardly in saying "hi" to them so I apologize for that because this is the first time in ages that I'm being as social as I have been and I am out of practice...if I ever was in practice, but that's another story altogether.  In any case, I have been doing my best to get myself back into the swing of things and for those of you who have helped or are assisting me in that I thank you.

 -  I want to note a few things regarding some of my friends in Columbus that I've either been made aware of or keeping an eye on.  First off, I want to say "what's up" to my friend Joe Dawg Brother who's been busy with his band "The Conspiracy Band" and his improv group "Hashtag Comedy."  I also wanted to note that one of my friends there just had a baby (congrats, Jen!) and another two are going to have little bundles of joy coming themselves including one I just heard about recently so congrats to both Mindy and Kristin.  Before I move on, I also wanted to congratulate my friend Cory on the launch of his new podcast "Life According To Brothers" that he is doing with his brother Ethan.  You can find out more about that on the Facebook page dedicated to the podcast here:  Life According To Brothers - Facebook page.

 -  Before I get to some of the stuff I've been working on, I wanted to talk about the Cleveland Browns for a moment.  They finally have their new head coach in former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.  Unlike with Rob Chudzinski where I had some doubts, I'm okay with this hire.  They took their time in finding the guy they wanted to run the team and, contrary to what pundits across the country were claiming, I don't think they had an out-and-out actual favorite while they were searching for a head coach.  They seemed to want to check out the entirety of the potential HC pool before making a decision and actually stuck to that strategy despite people freaking out about the Browns' front office and what people thought they were doing.  My favorite for the position was a finalist (Seattle DC Dan Quinn) but in the end I think they got a guy in Pettine who will stick and I hope this guy works out.  Time will tell.

 -  I think one word can summarize what's been happening with the Cleveland Cavaliers as their NBA season has worn on:  "nosedive".  I think at this point that's all that needs to be said.

 -  Over the years, I and many other friends of mine had made several attempts to create a place online to show off stuff from our clubbing and dancing activities, talk about upcoming events, post pics and videos, etc.  At the request of several of my friends and due to my own desire to finally get something going on that front, I started work back in December on a Facebook page where we could have all that which would be easy to upkeep and yet keep a forward-looking focus at the same time.  It took me a month to get enough stuff to adequately start it up with, but a couple of weeks ago the page finally went live:  The Crew - Ohio Facebook page.  I used the name "The Crew" because it was what we have all informally called ourselves in whatever iteration comprised whoever was a part of it at any one time (the Corporation, the "OC Dancers", etc) going back close to two decades now.  It's more of an informal name than anything but since I needed a name to call the page I thought that one would work best.  In essence, here is a basic description of what The Crew is about: it's a group of guys & ladies who go to or used to go to specific dance clubs & bars in both northeast & central Ohio.  This page is dedicated not only to those who are still doing the clubbing and dancing like yours truly but to those who were associated in some fashion either directly or indirectly and also for those who are not doing the clubbing thing any longer.  It's a place to connect and reconnect, to share memories (pics, videos, experiences, etc) and potentially start new ones, to remember the past as we make our way in the present and toward the future in regard to our activities, and a way to update your friends and "Crew" mates, if you will, on what's going on with you and use as a gateway to your own personal Facebook profiles if you have one.  For any of you who are interested in anything regarding the Crew, our past or upcoming activities (including one big one in the next few months which I'll talk about in the next blurb), you can check out and "like" the page here:


 -  On Saturday May 17, 2014, the Corporation will be gathering in Columbus for a reunion for the first time in several years.  The Corporation Reunion will be taking place at the Schrock Tavern in northern Columbus and is open to anyone who was a part of or associated with the Corporation over the years.  This is a chance for those of us blessed to be in this group to get together and have some fun the way we used to.  There will be people from the Corporation coming that haven't been in Columbus in a long time so this will be a can't-miss event.  This reunion will be done in honor of the memory of Roger Byrd who passed away a few months after the last reunion in 2008.  Here is a pic we have to help promote the event:


You are more than free to copy the pic above and paste it on your profiles or wherever to spread the word about the reunion.  In the next few editions leading up to the reunion, I will be posting something in regard to it as a reminder that it's coming up.  You can find out more and RSVP to the event on the event page set up here on Facebook:  The Corporation Reunion - Facebook event page.

  -  Regarding me and the Corporation Reunion...I am definitely going to it.  I was planning on doing some big stuff for my birthday this year but with the reunion coming up I decided to chuck those plans and save my money for stuff related to that weekend instead.  I'm still going out for my birthday but I won't be doing the big stuff I was planning.  Since I haven't been down in Columbus in years, I've decided I'm going to stay a couple of nights (that weekend, basically) so I can also visit my alma mater, The Ohio State University, and maybe do some sightseeing while I'm there.  If anybody who isn't going to the reunion wants to visit with me while I'm down there, let me know beforehand and maybe we can set something up for that.  I'm excited about going down there and really looking forward to it.

 -  Thirty years ago, the dance movie "Breakin" came out.  You wanna talk about a major influence on my life...that movie was what really got me into dancing in the first place.  Michael Jackson did have some influence around that same time but Breakin' was what really did it for me.  It's hard to believe the movie has been around that long.

 -  Song on Repeat:  "Can't Stop" by After 7.  This song is one of the few where if I wanted something to dance with a lady to or just get down with one, this was one of those songs.


 -  Shoutouts:  Since I've talked to or heard from so many people since the beginning of the new year and it'd take me forever to list them all here, I decided to just give a overall shoutout to my Facebook friends since all the people I would have given one to are on it already.  If you're on my friend list there, you're included in this shoutout.

That will do it for this edition of DJ's Random Thoughts.  I might be pretty busy over the next few weeks so I'm not exactly sure when the next edition will be coming.  I do want to note before I end this edition by noting that it will be 7 years since I started as a follower of Jesus Christ and became a Christian, something I am extremely blessed to be.  With all that, I bid you adieu.  Until next time, folks.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ