Random Thoughts #132 - the "2013 review" edition

Greetings and welcome to the latest edition of DJ's Random Thoughts, the last one for this calendar year.  I've done a bit of reflecting over the past month about my 2013 and I thought I'd share that with all of you along with some recent events.  With that in mind, let's get to it.  Enjoy.

 -  Before I get into my yearly review, I'm pretty sure you've noticed by now the new DJ Logo at the top of the page and on the various social media pages if you've been to those.  When I created it a few months ago I wasn't expecting to actually come up with a outright new one.  However, once I got finished with it I was like "Wow!"  It was so simple yet unique and I am finding to be more easily placeable on a ton of stuff.  I knew once it was done that this was going to be THE logo I wanted to represent yours truly wherever I am, especially when I take DJRT to where I've been dreaming to for so long.  Once I made that call, I decided to not make a separate one specifically for DJRT because I can just use the logo and then put "Random Thoughts" with other differing fonts & designs such as with the icons I'm using on DJRT social media as well as wherever I want to represent the site.  As you can see by the picture of the new DJRT bumper sticker in the top left corner of this edition, I have also changed up all the merchandise I'm selling in the DJRT Store.  Go check that out using the link in the top menu or just go here:  the DJRT Store.  I hope you all like the new logo.  I am extremely happy with it.

 -  Usually when I do my yearly review, I'll do it between Christmas and New Year's Day.  I'm doing it a few days early this year because for the first time in years I might be somewhat busy in that time (I know I will be on New Year's Eve which I'll talk about in a later blurb).  Like last year, there wasn't any significant or defining moment for me.  Before this past spring I was a virtual recluse, not getting out that much and not being too terribly social.  I don't think I had really been in such a place for a long time.  Once the spring hit, that started to change.  Even if it meant simply going to take a stroll in one of my favorite places to walk, downtown Cuyahoga Falls, I was determined to get more social and be "out and about" more.  I did a lot more of that this past year than in several of the years before.  I hit up many festivals and fairs and did some more exploring around some nooks and crannies in northeastern Ohio.  One big thing I did do last month was finally get past and settle in my head something that haunted me for years (something I've talked about at length in past editions).  Thanks to that issue being done, I've started to regularly go out dancing again...something I hadn't expected but it feels good to be doing that.  As I mentioned in the last edition, even though dancing and the nightlife are a big part of my life again, it is no longer the utmost focus of it.  I believe that is why I seem to be really enjoying it all again, something that hasn't been the case in a long time.  The last time it was like that for me was my first year at Ohio State and most of you know how fond I am of my nightlife during that year.  With all that happened on that front this year (the "out and about" and the renewed dancing), I plan on next year and beyond to continue what I did this past one and do more of it whenever possible.  I have this gut feeling that next year, 2014, is going to be an awesome year for me and a harbinger of good things to come in subsequent years.  I have nothing to base that projection on but for the first time in ages I am very optimistic about an upcoming new year.

 -  As I mentioned in the last blurb I've been going out dancing regularly again.  I've been going to the Red Fox in Cuyahoga Falls with my friends and having, at minimum, a good time when I'm out there.  I'm open to going to more spots but for right now I'm good on that front.  I do want to mention that I will be going to the Red Fox on New Year's Eve.  I know a few of my friends will be up there that night too but if anybody wants to come up and join me there that night let me know.  I'll likely be heading up early and be eating there (and more than likely have a decent place to park), so for those of you who haven't seen me in a long time it'd be an opportunity for us to get together early and catch up before I get my dance on...or maybe even while I'm dancing, who knows?  For those of you who don't have plans, it's an idea.

 -  One more thing about the dancing and the nightclubs...over the past few years I've had people suggest setting up a site showing off all the old pictures in the clubs, sharing videos if people have any, reminiscing about old memories and also potentially posting upcoming events in the future like club trips or dance practices (which specifically is happening in the near future).  In the past week or so I've been working on setting up a Facebook page which will hopefully do just that and more.  I'm taking my time in setting it up because I want to get some more stuff on there before it goes live but I'm hoping it will be an opportunity for all of you who have been with me or some of my friends in the clubs either in the Akron area or around Columbus or central Ohio to share what you have (pics, videos, memories, etc), keep up to date with what is going on either at a club or an upcoming event being planned, or just to be able to catch up with old friends or make new ones.  This is something that has been a long time coming and I think those of you who have been along for the ride with me and some of my friends in the clubs I've frequented will really like what's on the horizon.

 -  Last week I went up with my friend Bob to an NBA game between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Portland Trail Blazers.  We had probably the best seats in the upper deck one could get as we could see all the action without missing a beat.  We cheered for the Cavs and they almost pulled out a win but a last-second three-point shot by the Trail Blazers stopped that from happening.  It was great to see it live and as part of my getting out more I might take in one more game later in the season...I'm thinking the day of my birthday when the Cavs take on the Detroit Pistons to help celebrate my 42nd (I'm getting old, folks)...and hopefully get the same seats I did for this past one.  It was exciting.

 -  Speaking of my friend Bob, back when we were in our mid-teens we went to a National Wrestling Alliance house show that took place at the Rhodes Arena in Akron.  On the trip back home from the Cavs game we reminisced about that event talking about how we saw Dusty Rhodes, Lex Luger, the Rock N' Roll Express, the Midnight Express, and other big names that were a part of the NWA at that time.  We didn't remember exactly when that event took place but we did remember that Lex Luger was still in the Four Horsemen at the time and he was the U.S. champ then.  I did a Google search on that which took me a while to find but I did eventually find a page with the full card for the event which took place November 7, 1987 here:  Jim Crockett Productions/National Wrestling Alliance in Akron, OH.  I also remember constantly giving a double middle finger salute to manager Jim Cornette during the match he was involved with which probably shocked him that a 15 year old was doing something like that to him.  Then again, maybe it didn't given the reaction he was trying to elicit from the crowd in the first place, but it was the only time I can recall actually doing something that brash as a kid.  You're probably wondering where my dad who came with us was when this was going on?  Well, that's one of the things I don't recall all that well, but I'm guessing if he did see it he never said anything to me about it.  I do have to say that remembering that particular event gets me to thinking about MCW which I'm guessing outright closed over a year ago...I would like to be wrong about that but unfortunately I don't think I am...and those great shows I got to attend.  I do miss MCW and hope in the event it doesn't come back another promotion of the same quality or better comes along.

 -  It's hard to believe that 10 years ago, one of my favorite songs, "I Don't Want To Be" by Gavin DeGraw was released.  Associated with one of my favorite shows, One Tree Hill, it launched his career into the mainstream and he's had several hits since then.  The reason I mention this is that a couple days after my birthday in April he will be performing at the new Hard Rock Rocksino in Northfield.  Along with the aforementioned Cavs game on my birthday itself, that concert is something else I am considering doing to celebrate my birthday.  If anybody has any other ideas or wants to come along to help me celebrate said birthday, let me know because I want to have an exciting birthday this year.

 -  Song on Repeat:  "Anything" by SWV and the Wu-Tang Clan.  This particular remix of the song is one of my favorites.  Bottom line, it's a really cool song to dance to that brings back some club memories from back in the day not just from yours truly but from several of my friends.


 -  Shoutouts:  Cory, Kevin, Griff, Jay, Stan, Diane, Kristin, Aunt Sue, Stephen, Ron, Brandon, Marcus D., Michelle, Holly, Bob, Lynn, Jenny K., Holly, Xavier and Melissa.

It's been an interesting year and next year is looking to be bright.  Like I said, if anyone outside of those already heading to the Red Fox for New Year's Eve wants to come up to celebrate too, let me know.  I'd love to see those of you who want to celebrate with me.  Before I take off here, I want to wish all of you a very happy and safe holiday season and a Merry Christmas.  If I don't see you before 2014, I also want to wish you a Happy New Year.  That's it for this year, folks.  Until next time...and next year...take care and God Bless.

DJ