Random Thoughts #114 - the "breakup" edition

Hello and welcome to another set of Random Thoughts from yours truly.  I've got some stuff I planned beforehand to include in this particular edition but there will be some stuff that will come off the top of my head today.  With that in mind, let's get to it.

 -  The last time I alluded to being single at some point, I got into some trouble with several people.  Well, I'm going to talk about it again but I don't think I'll have too many issues with it this time out...I hope.  I have been single for 5 years now, which has been a pretty long time.  There are times where it has been a blessing and where it hasn't been.  In any case, I wanted to make a note of this here because there were things that changed for me as a result of the breakup with my ex Jennifer, thus the reason for the subtitle of this edition.  Now, I'm not going to talk about specifics from the relationship itself other then I tried on my end to make it work but I will say it didn't end well.  It ended when I accidentally insulted her (I'm not going to say how) and she decided to dump me.  I didn't mean to, but it happened and I'm not going to avoid my culpability here (BTW, in the event that she ends up reading this, I want to apologize because she didn't deserve that).  I haven't seen anything online from her whatsoever or heard a peep from her since that night, so I guess that's a sign that things weren't going to work out anyway.  On the night of the breakup, I decided to head up to an old haunt, the Outside Corner, and try to get my mind off of things.  I was still upset about what happened when a friend of mine who was the deejay there, DJ Legend, said something to me that got me to thinking.  I mentioned to him that I was trying to make things work with her and he asked something along the lines of "why didn't you just let it work instead of trying to make it work?"  He caught me off guard with that and I had to think about that for a while.  I have to admit that the relationship wasn't as easy as I had wanted it to be, but I may have complicated things with concentrating on making sure things worked out instead of concentrating on keeping the relationship going and letting it just "happen", for lack of a better word.  I wanted it to work out badly but given what transpired during the relationship and how I was going about things on my end it didn't take me long to realize that it wasn't meant to be.  I actually got over her rather quickly partly from realizing that...that may sound disingenuous but that is what happened.  The next time I have a girlfriend and I'm serious with her, I will definitely keep what DJ Legend said in mind and I thank him for that because I definitely needed it.

 -  The breakup actually jumpstarted a few things for me in my life that impact me to this day.  I would say not maybe a week or two after the breakup I went to my first Browns Backers meetup because a particular Browns game was blacked out in Columbus and, being the serious Browns fan I am, I didn't want to miss it.  It never occurred to me to watch the game with fellow fans or join a fan group but since that game, I have officially been a Browns Backer ever since...and I keep my Browns Backer card with me to prove it!  Also, I started what I consider my "last hurrah" as a clubgoer for the next two and a half years by regularly hitting up places like the Outside Corner, Club Polaris, Screaming Willies and Martini Park.  Until June of 2010, I would head up to one of those clubs on any given weekend, most likely a Saturday, and try to dance my butt off when I was up to it (BTW, I haven't been to a nightclub since June 2011, which was about a year & a half ago...it seems weird to realize it's been that long).  A few months after the breakup, I started helping out my friend Cory with his church and got myself more in tune with Jesus...that's always a good thing.  All three of those things led me to make a lot of friends and reconnected with several I hadn't seen in ages that I still keep up with.  However, the most important thing that probably happened to me was that I got motivated to start expressing my opinion again and not wanting to hold back with what I truly felt about things and people and events when I did.  I started up a personal blog on Myspace that eventually led up to what you're reading here today.  I would have to say that it if it weren't for that breakup, DJ's Random Thoughts would probably not exist.  Sometimes a breakup can lead to misfortune and chronic loneliness...and I have had some since my last one...but in this case I found that it also led to several blessings in my life that, quite frankly, I cannot do without.

 -  Speaking of the Browns, my protest has finally ended because the Browns finally ended their losing streak by beating their division rivals, the Cincinnati Bengals.  That means I will be wearing Browns stuff again and I couldn't be happier.  It also happened to be the last game that Randy Lerner served as the owner of the team because of the events in the next blurb...

 -  Today is literally a new day and a new dawn for the Cleveland Browns.  This is the first time in decades that either a Modell or a Lerner has not been the primary owner of the team.  Jimmy Haslem has officially become the new owner of the Browns and was approved unanimously by his now-fellow NFL owners.  Change has already started under Haslem's ownership, starting with Mike Holmgren stepping down as president of the team after the season is over and Joe Banner, ex-Eagles exec, taking over as CEO.  These changes were expected but I have to say, like with Mangini, I believe Holmgren leaves this team better off than when he started with the Browns.  The next step...regularly returning the Browns to the playoffs.

 -  It's been pretty quiet for me on a personal front, but I did finally sell my old car.  It wasn't working for me so I sold it.  When I get the money I hope to get a newer car.  There's a lot of stuff that has to happen for me first but that is my hope.

 -  The OSU Buckeyes are still undefeated.  However, I think in that last game the refs tried to give the win to the Indiana Hoosiers.  The Bucks still pulled a win out despite the officials.  Even though there is no postseason for Ohio State, it might be something to keep an eye out for the rest of this season though.

 -  Query:  Has there ever been a time where how you saw things or how you felt about things did NOT match up with the reality of something that was going on?  An odd question to ask, but it's one I ask of myself especially in regards to politics, so I thought I'd throw it out there for everybody else to think about.

 -  MCW Riot Television is finally airing on cable TV.  The first episode aired about a couple weeks ago and new episodes will continue airing on local cable systems on Wednesday nights.  Like I said before, episodes will be available online sometime after their original airings (at this time, I'm not sure exactly when but they will be up)...I have to catch the show that way because it's not on my cable system yet and even if it was I don't have access to it where I watch my shows anyway, but I can always catch up.  I want to share with you today the first episode of Riot Television that aired on cable a couple weeks ago:


 -  A few days ago I happened to be driving past the house where I lived when I was a baby and found out it was for sale.  I don't have the money to have a place of my own right now, but it was of interest to me considering that the first two memories I have of my life came from when I lived there and thought it was worth noting.

 -  It is Halloween season so....BOO!!!!!

 -  I got to go to the first preseason Cleveland Cavaliers game with my friend Bob and his family.  They took on an international team, Montepaschi Siena.  I had never been to Quicken Loans Arena before, so I was happy to finally get a chance to head up to the Q.  We had nosebleed seats but they were great seats to watch the game from either on the court or on the huges screens about the court.  The Cavs won the game and looked decent but there were definitely areas for them to improve.  I don't know how much I'm going to keep up with the Cavs this season, but at least I got to go to a game with one of my best friends.

Song on Repeat:  "Smile" by Cheap Trick.  This song was released a couple of years ago and was featured in the One Tree Hill episode "Don't You Forget About Me" dedicated to famed movie director John Hughes.  It is just a beautiful ballad to listen to.


 -  Shoutouts:  Holly, Bob, Zach, Bill D., Tom R., Ernest, Todd, Griff, Joe C., Maggie, Tammy, & Andrea

That's it for this edition.  If I don't get a chance to, I want to wish everybody a happy Halloween and hope that people stay safe if they participate in related holiday activities.  Until next time, folks.  Take care and God Bless.

DJ